A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 21 August 2018

Twofer Layered Hexagons


This month's Twofer Challenge is Geometric - any kind of geometric shape.


I recently bought a set of larger hexagon dies - large enough to make card bases from.  I cut two of them for each card and then made "hinges" from scraps of the same cardstock to hold them together.  I then used the smaller hexagon dies for my layers.

The first one is a butterfly-themed thank you card:


I love this scripted swirly butterfly stamp - I've had it for along and haven't used it for ages so high time it saw some ink.  I used the equally old Big and Juicy Hydrangea Rainbow ink pad.  I stamped the butterfly and sentiment directly on the panel, and then stamped the butterfly again on a scrap of cs, fussy cut it, and popped it up with foam tape on top of the one on the panel.  A few simple shimmery flower sequins, a blue border, and a layer of fun foam to give dimension finished it off.

Next up a Christmas one:


Very very CAS and simple to make.  Back to the basics of heat embossing image and sentiment!  For this one, I added a few gold sequins, a gold border, and fun foam under the panel for dimension.

A great opportunity to use my new hexagon dies!





Supplies:
Stamps - SU butterfly, Judith thank you, Inkadinkado cardinal, PTI Joy to the World
Ink - Big and Juicy Hydrangea Rainbow ink, ColorBox gold ink
Paper - white, blue, and gold cs
Size - 5.5" wide, 5" high
Accessories - Surprise Creation hexagon dies, gold embossing powder, gold sequins, blue flower sequins, foam tape, fun foam



11 comments:

  1. I love your hexagon shaped cards they're so elegant with the touch of colour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the hexes, Susan and never did a card in a shape before so I'm intrigued on the hinges. I also love that the dies came in sizes to use for framing which you have done beautifully. You have embellished them beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An excellent hexagon design, Susan, and I love how you switched up the elements to change your butterfly on your sweet thank you card to a bird for your elegant gold Christmas card! Go you for using your old schtuffs and how cool that the rainbow ink pad still worked!! Thank you so much for playing in Twofer Card Challenge #8! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your large hexagon makes a fantastic card base ... love it! Your butterfly is so pretty with the different shades of blue and purple. And your Christmas card is elegant with the gold embossing. Thanks for playing along with us at Twofer Card Challenge! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the hexagon shaped cards, Susan! The butterfly stamp is amazing! I see why it's a favorite and a keeper! The cardinal is so elegant all embossed in gold! Great job on getting the layers to look gold in the photo. Mine always look black.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun shape for a card Susan! Love the text on your pretty layered blue butterfly - and your gold embossing is perfect on your Christmas design!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great use of the hexagon die cuts. Love the pretty first card and the second classy Christmas card x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Using your hexagon to create shaped cards is such a great idea! I love that beautiful scripty butterfly, and the ink pad variations give it a wonderful blend of color! Your golden Christmas bird looks so regal and elegant! Thanks for joining in the fun with us at the Twofer Card Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great use of the hexagon die-cuts, Susan! Love the ombre-look butterfly of the first card. It's so pretty! The second card is very elegant and CAS - the simple two tone (white and gold), the nice gold heat-embossed texture, and the shiny sequins. Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely geometrically shaped cards, Susan ... that delicate butterfly is so pretty in those delicious blues ... and the gold with white is wonderfully classic and festive! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Twofer! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are beautiful! Always love hexagin shaped cards. No surprise... loving that blue colour for your butterfly thank you card. I think I need to get these dies. 🤔

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.