A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday 21 June 2018

Twofer Trees

I think Darnell's Twofer challenges are really challenging!  I'm amazed by some of the ideas people come up with.  Me, I just don't see my supplies that way - my brain can't move beyond them doing with them what they're intended to do and no more.

At least I can do the "two different occasions" part of the challenge!  My cards for this months's Twofer challenge ("Trees") came about because I wanted to make a "new home" card for my sister who just bought a new house that has some big fir trees out front - making me think of a die I have with houses and fir trees.  It's a die I bought mainly for Christmas cards but in this case, it was ideal for the "new home" card.


First up, the Christmas card.  I've been enjoying making some galaxy backgrounds lately so at our recent craft retreat, I led everyone in creating galaxy backgrounds.  The basic technique is this:

Sponge various colours of Distress Oxides onto watercolour paper (bright colours).  Using Black Soot Distress Oxide, press pad onto acrylic block and spritz with water.  Lightly tap over top of sponged background until most of the areas are covered, leaving some of the colour showing through.  Alternatively you can smoosh diluted Black Soot ink onto the background.  If too much black ink is added and not enough colour is showing, then you can add more colour on top, but it will be subtle.  Splatter with white paint to finish.

Then I trimmed down the panel, added the die cut, a stamped sentiment, and a pierced frame.  Here's a close-up:


The second card has a splashed background in three shades of blue Distress oxide ink, with the die cut, stamped sentiment, and fun foam under the panel to give some dimension.


Thanks, Darnell, for another fun challenge!

Twofer Card Challenge

And I'm taking the Christmas one over to Christmas Cards All Year Round where the challenge is "use non-traditional colours".





Supplies:
Stamps - sentiments - A Muse (card 1), PTI (card 2)
Ink - various Distress Oxide inks
Paper - mixed media cs for the backgrounds, white cs
Size - 4.75" square, A2
Accessories - MFT Pierced Square frame die, Ali Express die, fun foam



13 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing what you think of my Twofer cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both of your cards, Susan. Your galaxy sky for your village Christmas card is Gorgeous, my friend. You are making me want to try this technique again. Your splashed background for your sky on your 2nd home sweet home card is so pretty and perfect for your sister's new home. TFS Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love that galaxy background and thank you for showing us how to do it at the craft retreat. I need to play some more with this technique ... it's so fun! Your snowy sky looks so pretty with the little village down below.

    Great work with the splash watercoloured background. Your sister will LOVE this card to celebrate her new home. Thanks for playing along with us at Twofer Card Challenge! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the galaxy background with the white splatters that look like stars twinkling overhead! The white houses and fir trees are a wonderful contrast! The second card is so cheerful and welcoming and perfect for a new home owner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the galaxy background with the star like white splatters, your houses and trees look wonderful against that magical background.
    your new home card for your sister is so pretty with the splash background.
    Both cards are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank YOU, Susan, for participating! We welcome your trees-acting-like-trees cards, lol! I think they are both CASlicious with all that white space and pretty colors! Your night sky on the Christmas card has so much depth! I could feel my eyes drawn in! And, of course, I love the turquoise sky of your sister's card. Congratulations to her on her exciting purchase!! Thank you so much for joining in Twofer Card Challenge #6!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fresh and lovely new home card, Susan ... looks like a warm summer day with the splashy sky ... fabulous! Stunning galaxy background for your Christmas card ... the depth is amazing ... looks as though it goes on forever ... the crisp white die cut really pops against it! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Twofer! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 2 gorgeous cards Susan, I love the galaxy sky and how different these cards look! I agree it's tricky to come up with ideas for 2 cards, yours are fabulous though, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful way to welcome your sister to her new home! I love both the blue sky and the galaxy night sky - they both show off that great row of houses and trees! Thanks for joining in the fun with us at the Twofer Card Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both cards are just beautiful, Susan. Love that galaxy background with black. I'd never have thought to do something like that. The die cut is perfect for these too. I also love the brilliant blue.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two terrific twofers, Susan! Your galaxy background is gorgeous and works perfectly as a chilly winter night sky. Your second card with the splash background is beautiful. Great choice of die to create your scenes. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your cards are both wonderful! The night sky on the Christmas card looks cosmic! The die works perfectly for the new home card for your sister and looks great with your splashed background!
    Thank you for joining us at the Twofer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful Christmas scenes and I love the sky on your cards. Thank you for sharing your lovely crafting at Christmas Crafts All Year Round.
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.