A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday 2 May 2018

A Rainbow of Poppies

 
Goodness, the months are flying by - it's already time for the May CAS Watercolour challenge!


I wanted to use a solid stamp that I could watercolour with my markers and spritzing.  So I pulled out an old PTI set called Botanical Silhouettes.  I put the stem stamp in my MISTI first and inked it up with two different green markers, then spritzed with water, and stamped onto watercolour paper.  I let it dry and then put the flower stamp in the MISTI and inked up the flowers in rainbow colours (except for green), again using markers and spritzing with water. 

I suggest using a mini mister for the water spritzing as you want a fine spray rather than big drops of water.

I had more flowers than I needed so ended up with a couple of shades of red and a couple of orange.  On most of the flowers, I used a couple of markers to get a blend of different shades of that colour.

I stamped the sentiment in black, bordered the panel in black, popped it up on a cream card base, and added a few coloured pearls to the flowers.


There is lots of other inspiration over at CAS Watercolour - from the rest of the Design Team and from our Guest Designer, Hannelie of the Desert Diva blog.  You can interpret "rainbow" however you like but please be sure your card is clean and simple, and includes some form of watercolouring.  You have until May 24th to link up your card.





Supplies:
Stamps - PTI Botanical Silhouettes
Ink - Archival Jet Black
Paper - watercolour paper, cream and black cs
Size - A2
Accessories - various Tombow and Distress markers, coloured pearls, fun foam



16 comments:

  1. Such a delicate and pretty card. Fabulous water colouring and love how you've incorporated the rainbow colours into those beautiful poppies x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your watercoloured poppies are so beautiful and delicate in all the colours of the rainbow, Susan! Love this technique and you've done an amazing job with this image. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is absolutely wonderful! Well done!!
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful garden of poppies, Susan! Love the bright colors! I've never inked the flowers in this set. After seeing this, I realize that I need to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful and creative idea to watercoloring your poppies using rainbow colors, Susan. I love your framing too. TFS and Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  6. a beautiful bouquet of rainbow colored flowers Bonnie - so pretty with the watercolor technique and lovely framed in the black! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan what a wonderful rainbow effect with your poppies and the spritzed effect with your watercolouring is the perfect technique to use. Your black frame really makes the colours pop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is my most favorite stamp set of all time and love how you created the rainbow with the flowers. I've never used the flowers so thank you for the inspiration, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. how pretty....love all the coloured flowers, makes for such a happy card.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm loving all the rainbows! Your poppies are a beautiful idea and you achieved a perfect watercolor effect with the spritzing. Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your poppies are really beautiful, Susan! I love how you added dimension with different shades of ink and your artistic sentiment is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really gorgeous poppies Susan and love the pearls in the centres and the super font of the sentiment, so swirly and pretty. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your rainbow of poppies, Susan... it’s so cheery and beautifully watercoloured. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your bouquet of rainbow colored Poppies totally makes me smile Susan...LOVE this card!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loving those bright blooms Susan, such a happy card and beautifully CAS! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really wonderful array of beautifully coloured poppies! Thanks for the inspiration! Hugs, Gwendolyn

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.