A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday 15 February 2018

Canvas and Cork

Joanna, host of the February CAS Mix Up challenge is asking us to use felt, cork, or canvas on our cards.


I went with both canvas and cork on my reminder card.


I put a piece of canvas (thanks to my friend, Christine, for giving it to me) into my MISTI and stamped the Tim Holtz butterflies and moths stamps onto it, first with Archival ink and then with Versafine to try and get more of the details of the stamp.  No such luck - I think the texture of canvas will always defeat the details in a stamp.

To give you an idea of what I mean, here is how the stamp comes out with Archival ink on white cs - and I didn't even use the MISTI (just an acrylic block):


And here is a close up of my stamping on canvas where you can see how I've lost some of the detail of the butterflies and how the texture of the canvas shows in the stamping:


None the less, I went ahead with it, adding some subtle watercolouring to the butterflies and a bit of splatter with diluted black paint.

Next I took a piece of thin craft cork and stuck it to a scrap of cs with double-sided tape (I did this because my first attempt at making a cork frame did not work - the cork is quite flimsy and fragile, and it started to tear after I'd cut the frame).  Second time with the cs backing worked perfectly!  I used an old Spellbinders long rectangle die to cut out the centre of the frame.

I taped the frame to the butterflies and then onto a linen card base.  I decided to leave it without a sentiment as it keeps it more CAS.  I'll add one inside the card when I decide what occasion I'll use it for.

You have until February 24th to link up your clean and simple card, using felt, cork, or canvas, some stamping, and at least one other choice - I used watercolouring, splattering, and die cutting.  Head on over to CAS Mix Up for some mid-month inspiration from the rest of the Design Team and our Guest Designer, Marianne (of Marianne's Cards 'n Stuff).



Exciting News!!!
Starting March 3rd, 2018
 
 
Loll and Bonnie who run the CAS Mix Up and CAS Watercolour challenges are starting a new challenge - CAS Christmas!  Be sure to check back on March 3rd for the first challenge and participate to get those Christmas cards made throughout the year!






Supplies:
Stamps - Tim Holtz
Ink - Archival and Versafine black
Paper - linen cs, scrap white cs
Size - 6 x 4.25"
Accessories - thin canvas, thin cork, Gansai Tambi watercolour paints



9 comments:

  1. I LOVE how the canvas texture shows through your butterfly stamps, Susan. I know you lost some of the detail, but you gained so much texture. FANTASTIC! Perfect with the touches of colour and your cork framing. Very organic design. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this should be framed and up on the wall Susan! Wonderful coloring on your butterflies and the canvas gives the stampings great texture! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the harmony on this BEAUTIFUL card, ...which I would personally frame for my wall.
    Those butterflies are perfectly stamped for my liking. The canvas gives the textured look I like and your colour combo is the best to go with your cork frame. Thank you so much Susan for all your warm support, I know you make the best Christmas Cards, warm hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the canvas and the stamping of those butterflies gives a vintage look to your card, because it is not as crisp as onto card. I think it looks fabulous! Talking about flimsy cork....I used one of my place mats, which is really thick and then had to use a Big D die that I haven't used in years to cut it! Lets just say I can only lay the table for 5 friends now using those place mats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love the earthy textured quality of your stamped on canvas butterflies, Susan. Your cork frame was the perfect combo with your canvas art. I am so pleased you shared your card with us, my friend. Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, using canvas and cork... you created an art piece! Great stamp as both stamped canvas and regular versions look beautiful. Fab card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the look of the butterflies on the canvas! The detail is different from the cardstock but still very interesting! Your canvas piece looks right at home on the cork! I'm glad you didn't give up on this piece because I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love this card, Susan! Even if you've lost the details, the texture of the canvas gives the images interest. Watercoloring and spatters are perfect. The cork framing goes well with the canvas too, giving an organic feel. Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is beautiful...love your use of the cork.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.