A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday 18 January 2018

Comparisons

A while back I made a card using the Emboss Resist technique and accidentally used clear embossing powder when I'd intended to use white.  I'd always intended to redo the same image and technique but use the white embossing powder for a comparison.  Finally a year later here it is, spurred on by today's SCS Ways to Use It challenge "Let's Resist"

First a reminder of the original one (for details and supplies for it, see this post here):


and now the version with white embossing powder:


I stamped both the holly image and the small random dots in white, and embossed with white embossing powder. I like the more distinct image I got this time.

I flooded the whole panel with water and dropped a pale blue over the background, then went in with some mid-blue. I then took a fine pointed paintbrush and added a blue-green to all the holly leaves and red to the berries.

I mounted it on fun foam, framed with a pierced frame die, and a small sentiment.  I left the Stickles off the berries on this one as I liked the way the red paint came out.

What do you think?  Is an Emboss Resist better with clear or with white embossing powder?





Supplies:
Stamps - Great Impressions holly, Penny Black sentiment, SU Itty Bitty Background dots
Ink - ColorBox Frost White, StazOn Forest Green
Paper - white cs, Crafter's Companion watercolour paper
Size - A2
Accessories - white embossing powder, Gansai Tambi watercolour paints, MFT pierced frame die, fun foam



8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Susan, I love the blue background against the green holly leaves. the white emboss resist really makes the image pop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them both, but the white embossing really makes your red berries and blue green leaves pop. Especially with your beautiful blue snowy backgrounds. TFS my friend. Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both versions are so pretty Susan. I would say that the white embossing gives a more crisp and clear image. That is the biggest difference to me. Interesting. I usually use white embossing powder, but I have used clear on white card stock. I think I'll be using white on white from now on ... along with stamping in the white pigment ink first, which also helps to make the image more defined. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guess we all like them both Susan. Your skies are a beautiful contrast to that holly, what a great stamp. The sentiment is perfect "holly jolly". Love it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. While both are pretty, the white EP does seem to give the colors a more crisp look! Beautiful holly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love experimenting like this too. Both are so pretty and artsy looking. The white shows great detail but love the looseness of the first one too x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree... the white embossing stands out better. Beautiful cards. Thanks for doing the comparison.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.