A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday 31 January 2018

A Sad Day

Monday was a very sad day for me as I had to say goodbye to Betta, the lovely sweet horse I leased for two days a week for a few years.  See this post here for more on my life with horses.

I had to stop riding Betta a year ago as she was getting old and was developing really bad arthritis in her legs.  But I still went to visit her a couple of times a week, groomed her, took her for walks, and spoiled her with carrots and cuddles.

Last week her owner decided her time had come and her arthritis just too bad and too painful.  So Monday we met at Betta's barn to say goodbye and see her on her way.  I like to think of her spirit cantering through some wonderful grassy field in another dimension of life so I made this card to send to her owner to say thank you for leasing her to me and for all she taught me.


I put the stamp in my MISTI, inked up the body with brown and the mane and tail with black, then heat embossed.  I went over the unembossed parts of the stamp with brown watercolour paint, masked the horse and did a combination of sponging and painting the sky and grass with Distress inks.  I masked the grass and stamped and heat embossed the trees.

Here is a photo of Betta, younger and healthier:

 
And just last week, in her old age: 

It is so hard watching our beloved animals grow old.  Many of you also know that I'm a dog lover.  My dear old English Cocker, Will, turned 14 today so that is something to celebrate - he's doing well, loves his walks as long as they're not too long or too cold, loves his food, and loves to sleep by the fire.

Here he is ready to head out in the sweater I bought him this year to stop him being chilly:


And here he is in his favourite spot by the fire, warming up after a walk:


For all of you with animals in your lives, give them a hug from me and enjoy every moment you have with them as sadly their lives are never long enough.





Supplies:
Stamps - Local King Rubber Stamp Co. horse, Tim Holtz trees, Chocolate Baroque sentiment
Ink - Ranger Archival Jet Black, Memento Rich Cocoa, ColorBox Evergreen, Distress inks in blue and green
Paper - white cs, watercolour paper
Size - A2
Accessories - clear embossing powder, fun foam, brown watercolour paint



9 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss Susan. You created a wonderful card to honor Betta running free.
    sending hugs mf
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry, Susan. Betta's owner is sure to be comforted by your beautiful card. Lovely pictures of you and Betta to treasure.

    Happy Birthday to Will. He looks so warm and cozy in both the sweater, and in his bed in front of the first. He is a sweetie! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You graced Betta's life and the life of her owner. I'm sorry for your loss and hold to the hope that she is painlessly galloping in green fields. Your card shows that thought perfectly!

    I hope that handsome Will had a very happy birthday. Love the sweater! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear the very sad news Susan.....Cherish the memories. Your card is just so perfect and the owner will be comforted by it. Love Will's smart and cosy sweater...happy birthday Will x

    ReplyDelete
  5. May all your wonderful memories and photos of Betta bring you happy thoughts, Susan. I know it is a very difficult time for you and Betta's owner. Her owner will treasure your beautiful and thoughtful card. Knowing Betta is now running pain free in a beautiful green field is comforting too.

    Will looks so cozy and warm in his beautiful new sweater and sleeping by the fire:-) You are the most wonderful mommy! TFS. Love and Hugs..Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, I am so sorry! Your card honors Betta so beautifully. Love the way you colored her. It's like losing your best friend to lose a beloved friend as beautiful as she is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a difficult time for all of you. Our pets are precious, no matter what size, full time or part time. I'm sure your life has changed because he was in your life. Sending loving thoughts of courage for both you and the owner.
    My 10 yr old Lab Lola loved your hug ;)
    PS love all those sweaters, WOW
    warm hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. think of the wonderful life she had with you and her owner. It's so hard to give them up but she's not suffering now and is probably galloping around horsey heaven.

    Will looks adorable in his Cowichan sweater, so trendy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was a beautiful tribute to Betta and a wonderful reminder to hugs our animal friends, Susan. I'm sorry for your loss, but delighted for you that you had those wonderful years with her. Your thank you card is a fantastic representation your vision of Betta now and it will mean the world to her owner! Happy Birthday to Will and many, many more!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.