A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday 1 September 2017

Flat Red Wash

Another month has rolled around and it's time for CAS Mix Up to start a new challenge!


There are various types of watercolour washes but I chose to do a flat wash for this card.


I mixed two red tones of my Twinkling H2Os to get a Christmas-y red (though I think it's still a bit too pink).  I followed this video (it's one of several listed on the CAS Mix Up challenge page).  I used a hot press watercolour paper to get a nice smooth finish.

I die cut a holly sprig out of green shimmer cs and glued it to the red watercolour.

I stamped my sentiment in green and die cut a window out of my card front.  When I went to assemble it over the red washed piece, there was a bit of uncoloured section in one corner (and I'd been sure that rectangle opening would be just right!!). 

So I added some gold peel off strips inside the opening to hide the uncoloured section.  When I snipped them off to fit, I ended up with some tiny squares of the strips, so randomly stuck them around the holly.  All in all, I was pleased that I'd ended up with the uncoloured section as I really like the addition of the gold!!  Another happy card-making fix!!

Please come and join us at CAS Mix Up between now and September 24th.  There is lots of inspiration from the rest of the Design Team and our fabulous Guest Designer, Cathy of Cathy's Card Spot.   Just remember to keep your card Clean and Simple, have some stamping, a watercolour wash, and at least one option from our list of options (mine is die cutting).




Supplies:
Stamps - A Muse sentiment
Ink - Ranger Archival Library Green
Paper - white cs, green shimmer cs, hot press watercolour paper
Size - A2
Accessories - Twinkling H2Os, Tim Holtz holly die, Spellbinders rectangle die, gold Star-form peel-off tape



10 comments:

  1. what a happy unplanned design to add the gold tape and cute little squares Susan! The flat wash made a great holiday background for your shimmery die cut holly! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job with the flat wash background, Susan!! And I love those happy accidents ... the gold adds more shine and elegance. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Flat Watercolor Wash is so beautiful, Susan. I love how you fixed your white spot with the beautiful gold trim and then added the cut squares...so clever and creative my friend. TFS Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so pretty, Susan! Your flat watercolor wash is a beautiful backdrop for your holly and I love the gold! Quick and creative thinking!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how you've used twinks for your background wash Susan, the gold is a perfect addition to the red and green. Thank you for your warm welcome too, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would never have thought that the gold was to correct an oopsie, it frames your watercolour was so perfectly. Love the depth of colour with your wash.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your flat wash is so smooth and clean, Susan! If I remember correctly, Twinkling H2Os is a little shimmery/pearly, right? So your red background must be more beautiful in real life. The gold frame makes the card look more Christmassy, and I love it! Hideko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Hideko, Twinkling H2Os are shimmery, so in real life the whole card is more shimmery from the red paint and the gold. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  8. Love how you've used green for the sentiment stamping and your colour washing is fabulous x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't you love those happy accidents, Susan? This one sure turned out well with the addition of the gold adding extra elegance to your holly! I love how it all plays off that wonderful red wash!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.