A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 8 August 2017

Salted Snow

Have you tried making a salted watercolour card yet for the CAS Watercolour Challenge?


I love using salt for snowy or wintery backgrounds.  Here's a card using blue watercolour paints and Kosher salt as a background for some shimmery snowflakes:


I did quite a wet watercolour wash with a couple of shades of blue watercolour paint and while still wet, sprinkled it with salt (I found kosher salt worked best for me - not too fine and not too coarse). I let it air dry overnight, then brushed off the salt.

I die cut three snowflakes and my sentiment out of silver glitter cs, and bordered the panel with the same. I popped it up on fun foam.

Then I spent more time trying to get a good photograph of it than I spent making the card! It was so hard to capture the sparkle and the dimension of the die cuts! This was the best I could get.

It's also for fellow CAS Watercolour Design Team member, Karen Dunbrook's SCS Technique Lover's Challenge "Add a Pinch of Salt".





Supplies:
Paper - silver glitter and white cs, watercolour paper
Size - A2
Accessories - Gansai Tambi watercolour paints, salt, Penny Black Let It Snow die, Impression Obsession snowflake dies, fun foam



5 comments:

  1. So pretty. Love your watercoloured background with the salt, Susan. And your snowflakes and border are so pretty cut with glittery paper. I totally understand about photographing things with glitter ... it's hard! But this photo is AWESOME and shows all the sparkle. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, how pretty, Susan! The glittery silver is so pretty against it! It is really hard to get good photos of glitter! I think you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your watercolour salted background looks just like snow, Susan. So perfect for your glittery paper die cuts. TFS my friend Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  4. great effect with the salt, the blue and silver look so Christmasy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love blue and silver Christmas cards! And your salted blue watercolour wash background is beautiful, Susan. The perfect backdrop for your glittery snowflakes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.