A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 15 August 2017

Antique Ornaments



Summer is flying by - you'd think I'd want to "be in the moment" and just enjoy summer, but no, here I am thinking of Christmas.  So my reminder card for the August CAS Mix Up challenge is a Christmas one.  The challenge this month is:


And here's my card:


I covered a scrap of cs with silver adhesive-backed foil tape (the type that is used for furnace duct work).  Then I ran it through an embossing folder.   I then dropped various Christmas colours of alcohol ink on the foil, being careful not to let the red and green merge and turn into brown mud (the embossed ridges help with that).  When dry, I sanded off the embossed ridges to keep them silver.

I die cut with various ornament dies, "hung" them on the card with silver cord, popping them up with a bit of foam tape.

The sentiment is stamped in Staz-On as the cs is shimmery and slippery.  I trimmed the main panel so that I could tape the silver cord behind it, and then popped it up on foam tape.

Please come and join us before August 24th with your clean and simple card, featuring stamping, alcohol inks, and at least one other option - mine are die-cutting and dry embossing.





Supplies:
Stamps - Rubber Soul sentiment
Ink - Staz-on, various Christmas colours of alcohol inks
Paper - scrap of cs, cream shimmer cs
Size - A2
Accessories - Spellbinders ornament dies, silver cord, Cuttlebug Textile embossing folder, silver adhesive-backed foil tape, foam tape



13 comments:

  1. Wow..Susan, you are so creative my friend! I LOVE your dry embossed ornaments painted with alcohol inks. Your final touch of sanding the raised edges really made your ornanaments pop! TFS all your steps to your gorgeous technique. I hope to try soon. Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got so excited about your ornaments that I forgot to mention your soft pretty sponged background :-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful card. I like the extrusion technique in aluminum foil. I admire your care for color purity. It is so difficult with AI. This is a very beautiful inspiration, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the aged antique effect of sanding the embossed ornaments. I should pull out some of my foil tape, I just love this technique :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! These really do look like antique ornaments, Susan. Such a clever and creative way to use Duct Tape!! Love the mix of green and red. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love your 'metal' ornaments Susan! The colors are beautiful with the silver and the embossing is so pretty! what a great idea for using AI's! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another fabulous card created with the embossed foil tape technique, Susan. Great idea to sand off the raised areas to expose the foil and give it some shine. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I LOVE this technique, Susan! These ornament look so realistic with the embossed designs! I would have been afraid to die cut after embossing for fear that the embossing would be flattened. Nice to see it can be done! I think I have some self stick metal somewhere in my stash. I need to find it and try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The die cutting did flatten the embossing a bit, Bonnie, but because I'd sanded off the AIs from the raised areas before I die cut, there is enough contrast that it doesn't really matter.

      Delete
  9. I just love how you created your ornaments...they look stunning and I have such an appreciation for your card as I have a small collection of antique ornaments.
    gorgeous mf
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous antique ornaments, Susan! I love that you used a foil tape and sanded off the embossed ridges. So creative and skillful! Hideko

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow that is amazing what you did, I would have loved to see a video on the making of! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.