A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 1 August 2017

Alcoholic Delphiniums

It's August 1st so time for the new CAS Mix Up challenge.


I'm a very keen gardener and one of my favourite flowers is the delphinium.  I love the beautiful shades of blue, mauve, purple, and pink that they come in.  When I came across the Memory Box Delphinium Circle die, I had to buy it.   Here's my card:


I chose all the delphinium-like colours amongst my alcohol inks and smooshed them on a piece of Yupo.  See Loll Thompson's video tutorial for information on the technique.

I die cut a large circle out of my piece and then die cut the Delphinium Circle from the centre of that.  Then I die cut an even larger stitched circle out of white cs.

I also die cut the Delphinium Circle out of a scrap of cs to use as a mask over the white circle so that I could figure out the placement of my stamping.  I have the discontinued Ranger Big and Juicy Hydrangea ink pad - a wonderful mix of the same blues and mauves, so used that for my stamping. The flowers are the closest thing I have to delphiniums that would fit with the die.  They are stamped in a mix of first and second generation inking.

Three little co-ordinating gemstones give a bit of sparkle and the whole panel is popped up on fun foam.

This is the second card I've made with the Delphinium Circle die - I'll post the first one after the recipient receives it!

Nancy of Scandinancy Creates is the host for this challenge and Trina of My Crafting Closet is this month's Guest Designer after winning the June challenge with her beautiful sailboat card seen here.  There's also great inspiration from the rest of the Design Team and some links to video tutorials using alcohol inks.  So head on over to CAS Mix Up and be sure to link up your card by August 24th.  Please remember to keep it clean and simple, and include some stamping as well as alcohol inks and one other option from our list on the right side of the blog.





Supplies:
Stamps - Lavinia flower, unknown sentiment
Ink - Ranger Big and Juicy Hydrangea; various blue, pink, and mauve alcohol inks
Paper - white cs, Yupo
Size - 4.75" square
Accessories - Memory Box Delphinium Circle die, Lil Inker stitched circle die, fun foam, blue and mauve gemstones



11 comments:

  1. OMG...Susan, Stunning delphinium circle die, cut out of your alcohol ink background. I love your finished card design and how you used delphinium colors of alcohol inks. TFS my friend. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. So unique and absolutely beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That die is lovely Susan - and I love how you used it to cut your AI panel and then have some stampings behind it - a beautiful design! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great die. Gorgeous blue colour. Great idea to stamp the images behind. Adds so much depth. Beautiful card. 😊 Trina xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely love your design!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE these colors together, Susan! The die cut Delphinium Circle shows all the colors so beautifully! I love how the stamping makes it look like a whole garden of the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your colors on this just captivated me! How brilliant, Susan. Love the layout of your awesome card too! That die is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful effect with the stamping and AI's, also love the circle delphinium die, looks even prettier in real life :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous card, Susan. Love the beautiful colours of your delphiniums. And a fantastic design with the stamped flowers in the background .. love it!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this is gorgeous, Susan! I LOVE the AI colors you used!
    The mix of first and second generation stamping (flowers) really adds the depth of the framed scene, too. Hideko

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh this is so beautiful and those colors are so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.