A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday 31 August 2017

A Real Feather

I wasn't going to make a card for the latest Less is More challenge as I didn't have a good idea for it.



And then, while walking my dogs yesterday, I found my inspiration!  A beautiful feather was lying on the ground and I instantly thought of a card!  Here it is:


I think it's a hawk's feather which would make sense as there was a hawk's nest near my house and all summer we heard and saw the three babies swooping above the trees.

I stamped and fussy cut the bird as I thought it would look great perched on the feather (and I love the sentiment that is part of the bird stamp).  I used a mix of two inks trying for some colour variation in the bird.

I cut a circular opening in a scrap of paper to create a mask and sprayed inside the circle.

The feather is glued on, the bird is popped up with foam tape, and the whole panel popped up on fun foam.

It will be a perfect birthday card for a friend who is a keen bird watcher.





Supplies:
Stamps - Fiskars For the Birds
Ink - Ranger Potting Soil, Versafine Vintage Sepia
Paper - white cs
Size - A2
Accessories - real feather, Nesties circle, Lindy's Stamp Gang spray, foam tape, fun foam



12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Susan I love it! Inspiration can come from anywhere and what marvellous inspiration you've had in creating this amazing card. Keeping it CAS and popping in all the elements from the stunning hawks feather, to the fussy cut bird and how it is coloured and then masking the circle to use the sprays ...no mean feat and you've nailed it. One stand out card x Thank you for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaahhh...Simply naturally beautiful, Susan. My idea was to use a feather also, but still have not had time to make a card. I have a stash of feathers from home and different hikes. hmmmm...you have me inspired..if I can squeeze in a few extra minutes. Headed to the veggie garden. Finished...for today watering and deadheading. It is feeling like early Fall. Cool nights and hot days..typical September weather on the Oregon coast.

    TFS and always inspiring me my friend. Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so clever, Susan!! LOVE the feather as the perch for the bird. Your friend is going to love this card! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love hearing how you got your inspiration! That feather is so perfect for this design! I too love the sentiment on the silhouette bird. Terrific idea to perch him on that feather too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful fine, Susan! I love how you incorporated the feather on your card! You had the perfect stamp! I think you have a winner here, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So artsy, what an incredible find with the feather and the perfect layout :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. An eye catching and fantastic use of your real object here Susan! A beautiful scene and the perfect sentiment too. Thanks for joining us at Less is More

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is gorgeous, Susan! That feather is beautiful and works perfectly with the bird silhouette which incorporates one of my favourite quotes. A fab design :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful card and lovely story on how you created it ! This feather is real beautiful and its perfect for your bird scene ! Fabulous take on our challenge. Thanks so much for sharing and for playing along at Less is More !

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous feather, and it makes a fabulous branch for your bird to perch on. A lovely quote too.
    Thanks so much for sharing with us at Less is More, Anita x

    ReplyDelete
  12. love this!! love that you used your found treasure on a card.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.