A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday 16 December 2016

Resisting Pine

December is flying by with Christmas preparations but hopefully you're finding time to create a watercolour card for the December CAS Watercolour Challenge.


My favourite way of doing watercolouring is with an embossed resist - it makes it so easy to just let the watercolour pigment flow where you want it.  Here's my reminder card to give you some additional inspiration:


I stamped and heat embossed the pine branch in white.  Then with a few shades of blue from my Gansai Tambi watercolour paints, I did a watercolour background.  It's something I'm really working on getting better at, and am actually quite happy with this one!  This time I added lots of water first, then dropped in the colours and let them do what they wanted to do - and I made myself leave it alone!

I then stamped the pine cone in brown twice, and went over the snowy bits on one of them with my Versamarker pen and added white embossing powder.  I fussy cut both and glued them together for a bit more substance and added it to the branch.

I die cut with a Sizzix framelit die for more interest and popped it up on fun foam.  A simple stamped sentiment in the brown of the pine cone tied it together.

You have until December 24th to link up.  And please remember to keep your cards Clean and Simple.





Supplies:
Stamps - SU Ornamental Pine, Make an Impression sentiment
Ink - ColorBox white, Memento Rich Cocoa, Versamarker pen
Paper - white cs, watercolour paper
Size - A2
Accessories - Sizzix framelit die, white embossing powder, Gansai Tambi watercolour paints, fun foam



9 comments:

  1. LOVE this card Susan. Your watercoloured background is beautiful!! Love the snow covered branch and your snowy pine cone. Great design! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This pinecone branch is a wonderful winter image Susan and I love the blues you have used in the background and cut into an interesting shape it looks great. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply Beautiful Heat embossed Pine bough Susan. You made if very special with your gorgeous watercoloured background. Your CAS design is just perfect for the challenge. TFS my friend. Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This pine branch is gorgeous embossed and resisted! Love the background too! It's so hard to leave it alone. The snowy pine cone is beautiful too! Awesome card, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the background watercolouring is so pretty behind the pine cone branch, it really makes the branch pop

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your background is gorgeous Susan! It looks great with the pinecone resist!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful card, Susan. Your watercoloured background is fantastic and I love the embossed pine cone. Great design !

    Greetings from Germany
    Anke

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the look of this beauty mf....so gorgeous.
    hugs,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.