A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday 2 April 2016

Villages and Odd-Sized Cards

Today I finished off my March quota of Christmas cards for the SCS Christmas Card Challenge - I do 10 a month.  I base some on the suggested theme (it was villages, windows, doors, houses, etc. for March) and do some on whatever theme I feel like or that fits another challenge I might choose to do.

Here are two village-themed cards and one that uses up a bit more of my Inka Gold background from my UFO box.

First up a standard-sized card:


I used a starry dp for the background and added glitter to the village.  I like it framed in the circle, but also like using the whole village die spread across a card like this one:


Every so often if I'm in a stationery store, I pick up some single envelopes in different sizes.  And occasionally they work better for a certain image.  The full Memory Box village die will barely fit on a standard A2 card and I wanted to use its proportions in a way that I found more visually appealing so I made my card 6"x4" as I had a stray envelope that would fit that size of card.  It worked perfectly for the full village die, allowing for good proportions of die cut area to sky.  A long ago boyfriend of mine was an excellent photographer and he taught me that photos of landscapes should never have the horizon in the middle - it should always be one third / two thirds. 

The sky is the polished stone technique using various shades of blue alcohol ink and silver mixative on glossy cs.

It's popped up on foam foam to give it dimension from the card base.

I used the same size envelope and card base for this next card, but in a vertical orientation:


I made it for today's SCS Inspiration Challenge.  The inspiration I chose was from this journal entry with its photos and sketches of tall pine or cedar trees in the mountains like the left hand side of this one:


It appealed because the journal entry was about traveling in Washington and British Columbia (where I live).  And it made me think of my Tim Holtz stamp of tall trees.  I used a leftover piece of smooshed Inka Gold background from my UFO box, embossed in green the tall Tim Holtz trees and sentiment, and popped it up on fun foam.

The 6"x4" dimensions of the card really emphasized the tallness of the trees.
That's it for crafting for today!  I'm now heading out into the garden to do some spring tidy-up as it's a gorgeous afternoon.






Supplies:

Village in Round Circle:
Stamps: Paper Smooches sentiment
Paper: white cs, Paper Co. dp
Paper Size: A2
Ink: ColorBox Colonial blue
Accessories: Memory Box village die, Spellbinders circle die, embossing powder, Quickie glue pen, white glitter 
Village against Polished Stone:
Stamps: Rubber Soul sentiment
Paper: white and glossy cs
Paper Size: 6"x4"
Ink: Archival Brilliance Pearlescent Sky Blue
Accessories: various blue alcohol inks, silver mixative, fun foam, clear embossing powder, Memory Box village die
Techniques: Polished Stone

Tall Trees:
Stamps: Tim Holtz trees, PTI sentiment
Paper: white cs
Paper Size: 6"x4"
Ink: ColorBox Evergreen
Accessories: blues and silver Inka Gold, green embossing powder, fun foam
Techniques: smooshed inka gold

4 comments:

  1. Your UFO box is yielding lots of good stuff, Susan! 3 more gorgeous Christmas cards for your stash! Our gardens are really greening up. I noticed some roses blooming today along with all the azaleas. And my lilies and peonies are coming up good. Hope you had fun in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like many of us are working on cleaning out our UFO Boxes. :) It's awesome to use up some leftovers that have been hanging around a while, and sometimes they even just sort of fall into place (those are my favourite)! :) All three of these are so pretty. I do love that landscape die and have used it a lot too. Makes for wonderful wintery scenes. I agree with your photographer friend, one-third and two-thirds ... and it doesn't matter which one is which (sky or ground) --- it just works. Jer taught that to me. Along with odd numbers always look more balanced (most of the time). I do love that polished stone sky. I need to get some silver fixative (another thing to add to my list!). It makes such a difference. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice cards! Nice idea to make a few different sized ones. I started the year with the idea of making 4 cards a month. I haven't but I do have some collecting in a box. I like your blue & silver backgrounds & the village.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice cards! Nice idea to make a few different sized ones. I started the year with the idea of making 4 cards a month. I haven't but I do have some collecting in a box. I like your blue & silver backgrounds & the village.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.