A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 10 November 2015

Practicing my Paper Quilting


Today's SCS CAS and Technique Lovers' challenges inspired me to try making another "quilt" card.

The CAS Challenge is "to Grandma's house we go!" - to make a card that reminds you of your grandmother's house.  My grandmother was a real craftswoman - knitting, sewing, quilting, embroidery - she was never idle, even when we were visiting.

The Technique Lovers' Challenge is to chose a technique we either love, missed out on trying, or want more practice on, and when doing it, CASE either one of your own cards or someone else's.   I've always meant to try making another quilt card. I only ever made this one here.  I did that one a few years ago and was never that happy with my choice of papers, and I didn't like having the sentiment cover so much of it, and it was a bit sloppy with gaps between the pieces of dp.

I'm much happier with this version - love these two patterned papers together, and I did a better job of placing the pieces. I also prefer my smaller sentiment. I stamped it on a tiny tag and attached it with a bit of twine and an old button - both of which make me think of my grandmother as, having gone through the war in England, she saved all her old buttons and bits of string in jars on the kitchen counter!

Thanks to the CAS challenge for making me think of my grandmother - she died quite a while ago at the ripe old age of 101 so I have many memories of her over many years.






Supplies:
Stamps: unknown noel
Paper: white and red cs, scraps of dp
Paper Size: 5.25" square
Ink: SU Real Red
Accessories: CB embossing folder, tag punch, button, twine, foam tape
Techniques: quilting

4 comments:

  1. A beautiful quilted piece, Susan! It looks as warm as you memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so awesome! I see no practice required...perfectly done :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.