A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday 5 September 2015

Seasons, White Space, and Birthdays

When it comes to challenges, I mostly do Christmas ones but I also try to do at least a couple of Splitcoaststampers' challenges each week.  This week they had three in a row that appealed to me and I came up with this card combining all three in one:


The Free for All challenge "Happy Birthday to Me" is to make a birthday card that I would like to receive. I've got everything I like here - some stencilling, some glitter, flowers, a nice quote, and not too fussy.

The Mixability challenge "White Wash" appeals to those of us who like more CAS cards - it is to have lots of white space but still have mixed media. My media are ink, watercolour paints, wink of stella, embossing paste, and glitter.

But the challenge that started the card was the Ways to Use It challenge "Seasons" - make a card associated with your favourite season. Mine is spring - just love the garden coming back to life and all the wonderful spring flowers cheering things up after the winter. Bunches of tulips and daffodils in the grocery store are one of my favourite signs of spring.

The image is watercoloured with Wink of Stella over the flowers. The flourishes are done with a homemade stencil kindly made for me by Loll Thompson. I sprinkled gold glitter on the wet embossing paste. And I used a technique I've seen Sallie (aka hobbydujour on SCS) use a lot lately - instead of using gold cs to border an image, just draw gold lines around the edge.

I'm also taking it over to Happy Little Stamper's CAS challenge "Colouring" as I coloured my image with watercolour paints and coloured the embossing paste with glitter.






 Supplies:
Stamps: SU Love is Kindness, unknown happy birthday
Paper: watercolour paper, white cs
Paper Size: A2
Ink: Ranger Archival Black
Accessories: watercolour paints, clear Wink of Stella, homemade flourish stencil, Dreamweaver embossing paste, Glitter Ritz light gold glitter, Nesties rectangle, foam tape, gold Marvy Opaque Stix



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful design Susan ... and great job covering off all those challenges with the one card. Love your design with the glittery flourishes --- so pretty! So happy you are sharing this at Happy Little Stampers. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, Susan! I love all the sparkle!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.