A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday 24 September 2015

My one and only ever steampunk card

Steampunk is so not my style!  But I decided I would make a steampunk card to thank my best friend for taking me to see a version of Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors that had sets and costumes done in steampunk style.  It was a great production and we enjoyed it so much.  Here's some photos of their set:

The Comedy of Errors





And here's the card I was inspired to make:


I wanted to capture the large clock and gears from the set.  Because I'm not a steampunk person, I had to borrow the gears die from a friend.

I'm entering it in the Mixed Media Card Challenge "Friendship".  I used Distress stains with the clock stencil, ink and embossing powder for the sentiment, and textured cs for the gears die cut.

And it's going into the Less is More challenge "Technology".

That's it for steampunk for me!

Supplies:
Stamps: Printworks sentiment
Paper: white and dark brown cs
Paper Size: A2
Ink: unknown dark brown pigment ink spot
Accessories: various Distress stains, TCS clocks stencil, Memory Box gears die, clear embossing powder

7 comments:

  1. Great job on your first ever Steampunk creation - I think you could do more of this!! A wonderful inspired card - love the gears and your lovely friendship stamp! Thanks for joining us in the Mixed Media Card Challenge Susan! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a really stylish Steampunk creation Susan! For Less is More, we do ideally like to see a little more 'white space' though.
    Looks like that was an amazing Comedy of Errors!
    Thank you for joining us
    Anne
    "less is More"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great steampunk card, it really does look very techno... although as Anne said we do like to see a little white space on submissions to our challenges!
    Thanks so much for joining us!
    Chrissie
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you did really well with your first steampunk card, Susan!! LOVE your design and it definitely fits well with the set designs you've shared. Sounds like you had a wonderful time ... and a lovely way to thank your friend for a fun evening out. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant steampunk card, I'm a bit scared of that theme to be honest so you did good! A little more white space would be preferred but otherwise perfect for our challenge.
    Thanks for sharing with us.
    Anita x
    Less is More

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm amazed at this card! Very clever how you've recreated the scene and so perfect to send the friend you saw the play with!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.