A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday 20 September 2015

Christmas Cheer

This week's Merry Monday challenge is "Sentiment in the Spotlight".  I have so many great Christmas sentiments that it was hard to choose.  I finally settled on one I'd never used before from a Whimsy Stamps Christmas Chalkboards set - but I didn't use it for a "chalkboard" style card.

I spent a great day yesterday at Loll Thompson's house.  Loll, our friend Christine (calex on SCS), and I experimented with alcohol ink techniques.  One technique I suggested was using tin foil and embossing folders.  I ended up with the lovely Christmas background I used here.


The background reminds me of some old multi-coloured tin Christmas ornaments my grandparents had in England when I was a child.

The technique is simple - stick kitchen tin foil on cardstock, run it through an embossing folder, and drop various colours of alcohol ink onto it.  Take care not to let the colours blend into each other too much.  When dry, lightly sand off the raised parts of the embossing to let the silver of the foil show more.

I used a light silver cs for the base and the sentiment panel.  The sentiment is heat embossed in green to be sure it doesn't smudge on the silver cs.  And I had the perfect size and shape of die cut to cut it out with.

Thanks for taking a look!


Supplies:

Stamps: Whimsy Stamps Christmas Chalkboard sentiment
Paper: light silver cs
Paper Size: A2
Ink: Versamark
Accessories: CB embossing folder, Sissix, Stampendous Pearlustre emerald embossing powder, alcohol inks, tin foil

5 comments:

  1. This is so pretty Susan!! Love the design with the sanded bits ... still have to do that to mine from yesterday! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! LOVE your background! Gorgeous! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Merry Monday.

    Deanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When they said showcase the sentiment, you really took is seriously. WOW! This card is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your background looks awesome, lovely Christmas card. Thanks for sharing at Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow stunning card Susan love the background.

    thanks for putting my card Dandelion in the favourite Cas Card.

    Greetings Karin

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.