A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday 8 August 2015

Zig vs Distress Markers

Zig Version:

My friend Christine (known as calex on SCS) and I spent yesterday at Loll Thompson's (Stamping with Loll) house having a great time crafting with her.  One of the things I wanted to do was try Loll's Zig markers as I've heard so much about them.

I stamped this image by Penny Black on mixed media cs and coloured it using yellow, orange, and green Zigs, laying down a little bit of colour and pulling it out with a water brush.


The Zigs were very smooth and easy to use, and have a great brush tip and wonderful vibrant colours.  Christine did a comparison with SU markers and concluded that the Zigs pulled the colour out much more easily and gave a smoother blended result.

When I got home, I cut a rough mask to lay over the poppies and added some pale green stencilling (using a leaf stencil made for me by Loll) around them.  I felt a need to balance the yellow of the poppy on the left so added a thin strip of yellow cs along the right edge. And popped the panel up on a white cardbase.

I'm entering it in Loll's Happy Little Stampers "Masking" challenge and one of the SCS Dare to Get Dirty challenges.

Distress Marker Version:

Before I spend the money on the Zigs, I want to know how they compare to the Distress markers as I have the full set of them.  So before I left Loll's, I stamped the same image on the same cs and brought it home to colour in.  Here's the result:


The Distress markers took more water and more effort to pull the colour out but gave a pretty good result, though of course the Distress colours are more muted.  So do I need the Zig markers?  I'm not sure - though I definitely want them!

In keeping with the use of the Distress markers, I finished this card in a more distressed style.  I spritzed the Peeled Paint marker in random spots, and then, using Peeled Paint ink, I added a partially inked text stamp and sponged the edges.  A simple green cs border seemed to be all it needed.  I used an ivory cardbase for this one.  I'll add the sentiment to the inside.





Supplies for the first card:
Stamps: Penny Black poppies, Impression Obsession sentiment
Paper: mixed media cs, white and yellow cs
Paper Size: A2
Ink: Archival Jet Black, Distress Bundled Sage
Accessories: leaf pattern stencil, Zig markers, SU label punch, dimensionals
Supplies for the second card:
Stamps: Penny Black poppies, Inkadinkado text
Paper: mixed media cs, ivory and green cs
Paper Size: A2
Ink: Archival Jet Black, Distress Peeled Paint
Accessories: Distress markers, marker spritzer tool, dimensionals

10 comments:

  1. They are both pretty, Susan, but I am definitely drawn to the brighter Zig version. Isn't that always the way, that we just get settled into one sort of color and then they go and introduce yet another "must have." I've really been trying to ignore the Zigs and keep building out my Copic collection, but it is hard to resist the temptation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan. Thanks again for coming over yesterday ... it was a lot of fun playing with techniques! Both cards are so beautiful. I have to say that I really like the more muted version with the soft sponged edges and script. I LOVE my zig pens, don't get me wrong, but your distress markers really give you a soft muted colour palette that is hard to get with the zigs. In the best of worlds, we would both have both sets of markers. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of these are gorgeous, Susan! I love my distress markers and the softer colors they give, but I also love the Zigs with their vibrant colors. I was unsure whether I needed the Zigs, but since my DH needed to get me something for my birthday they found their way to me (ahem!) I've already ordered a few more colors. Altogether a wonderful play date at Loll's. I love how you've masked both of these cards giving them a more finished art look and the strip of yellow down the side works beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these cards. Simply beautiful. Sounds like you had a lovely time at Loll's. I hope to get there myself one day :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, really, you did two magnificent watercolored cards, that's the bottom line, Susan! I love them both! As you say, the Ziggies are more vibrant, but each is beautiful in its own way.

    And how fun that you got to go play with Lolly for the day!! I wish I could have been there, too! She got me turned on to the Ziggies, too, even though I have (ahem) other markers, including the SAI set of watercolor brush markers! My Ziggies just arrived yesterday so now I can start playing with them. Well, no, that's a lie. First I have to break in my Chameleon pens cuz I promised Lolly I would do that and let her know what I think of them. Can anyone say marker addiction??????????????? Enjoy your day!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning Susan! I love both of them. Love that gorgeous bright yellow! Thanks for joining us at Happy Little Stampers CAS! Hazel xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two beautiful cards, Susan. Love your yellow poppies! Thank you for joining us at Happy Little Stampers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love your brighter version Susan, but I think there is definitely a place for both marker sets. I do have the zigs on my wishlist and do have a birthday in Sept. :-) How many marker colors in your set? I am wondering which size would be best. I have ALL the new and old SU markers and many distress inks, but not the distress markers. I use my aqua pens with my distress inks. Any advice?

    TFS both your cards and showing the differences. Very helpful my friend. Hugs, Nancy P.S. Love your strip of yellow on your 1st card to balance out your main image. Worked great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So very lovely, clearly a lot of care in the making. Looking forward to our Watercolor class to see what else you will make.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have both kinds of markers and use both. I think both cards are lovely, just a different look. I loved the way you compared them. I really loved the yellow stripe you put on the zig card. it really added so much. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.